When a person is undergoing a surgical procedure, they can be very vulnerable to infections. Infections acquired during/through a surgery can be very harmful to a patient. Such infections can sometimes even have fatal results. Thus, it is very important for hospitals to take all proper steps to protect surgical patients from infections.
Recently, a wrongful death case has arisen involving allegations that a hospital negligently exposed a surgical patient to an infection. The hospital in question is a hospital in Texas.
Reportedly, in March 2011, an aortic valve replacement surgery was performed on a man at the hospital. The man's family alleges that the hospital failed to properly clean the replacement valve before putting it into the man and that the surgical environment the hospital provided for the procedure was not properly sterilized. According to the man's family, this alleged negligence led to the man acquiring a rare bacterial infection. Reportedly, the infection was detected in July 2011 and the man died of it in January 2012.
A wrongful death lawsuit has been brought against the hospital by the man's family in a court in Texas in connection to these allegations. Damages reportedly are being sought in this lawsuit. One wonders what will happen in this case and how it will ultimately be resolved.
As the allegations in this case underscore, great harm can be caused when hospitals fail to properly protect their patients from infections. One hopes that hospitals are held accountable when they commit negligent actions and such actions result in a patient getting hurt or dying.
Source: The Southeast Texas Record, "Man dies from infection 10 months after surgery, family sues Christus," David Yates, June 3, 2013