Energy drinks are marketed as a morning, mid-day or evening "pick-me-up." They are supposed to give consumers a quick burst of energy to give them the boost that they need to complete their work, stay up for the party or whatever else might require being a little more alert. However, for some consumers, they aren't doing what they are supposed to.
Instead of giving their energy a boost, some drinks have allegedly caused the wrongful death of some of those who consumed the beverage. Specifically, Monster Energy Drinks are the focus of a federal Food and Drug Administration investigation after the highly-caffeinated drinks were cited in five deaths and at least one serious heart attack.
The five deaths occurred over the past several years, the first claims arising in 2004. Although the FDA spokeswoman who announced the investigation confirmed that there is not conclusive evidence as of yet, she said that the reports are being taken very seriously and will be investigated in a diligent manner.
A group of family members is not waiting for the close of the investigation and have already filed a lawsuit against the makers of the energy drink they say caused the death of their loved ones. One set of parents lost their child when she suffered cardiac arrhythmia that an autopsy confirmed was due to caffeine toxicity.
The major claim is that Monster Beverage Corp. failed to warn consumers about the risks associated with drinking the product that contains 240 milligrams of caffeine. For those who don't measure their caffeine by the milligram, that equates to drinking seven regular 12-ounce cans of cola.
Source: The Washington Post, "FDA probes 5 reported deaths linked to Monster Energy Drinks; wrongful death suit filed in CA," Matthew Perrone, Oct. 22, 2012
If you have lost a loved one and want to know more about wrongful death claims, our Stamford, Connecticut, website provides more information.