Joseph J. Tooher Jr. Esq.
Born in Stamford, Connecticut, he attended Stamford public schools, graduating from Stamford High School in 1948. He graduated from the University of Connecticut in 1952 and the University of Connecticut School of Law in 1955. At Law School he was a member of the Board of Student Editors of the Connecticut Law Journal.
He served in the U.S. Army from 1955 to 1957. In July of 1957, he joined the firm of Moore & Epifanio. In 1959 he was appointed prosecutor of the Stamford Municipal Court serving until 1960 when the Circuit Court was established. He served as an assistant prosecutor in the Circuit Court under the late Judge William Tierney until 1961 when he resigned.
In 1959 he became a partner in the law firm of Moore, Epifanio & Tooher.
In 1963 he was elected Chairman of the Democratic Party. In the 50's and 60's he was active in several mayoralty and senatorial campaigns. In the early 70's he was appointed Chief Counsel to the Joint Senate House Judiciary Committee of the State Legislature and served in that capacity for four years.
He was one of the Founders and served as President of the Southern Fairfield County Chapter of the University of Connecticut. He has been active in the National Organization of the UConn Alumni Association, serving as a member of its Board of Directors for six years. He was adjunct professor at Sacred Heart University where he still serves as a member of the College of Business Advisory Board.
He is past President of the Stamford Old Timers' Athletic Association, a member of the State Street Debating Society and a member of the Regional and State Bar Associations.
He is a founding member of the law firm of Tooher & Wocl, LLC.
Areas of Practice
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Land Use & Zoning
- Connecticut, 1957
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut - 1955
- Law Journal: Connecticut Law Journal, Member of the Board of Student Editors
- University of Connecticut - 1952
- Adjunct Professor, Sacred Heart University
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Democratic Party, Chairman
- University of Connecticut, Southern Fairfield Chapter, Founder, President
- National Organization of the UConn Alumni Association, Member, Board of Directors
- Sacred Heart University, College of Business Advisory Board, Member
- Old Timers' Athletic Association, Past President
- Connecticut State Street Debating Society, Member
Past Employment Positions
- United States Army, 1955 - 1957
- Moore & Epifanio
- Stamford Municipal Court, Appointed Prosecutor, 1959 - 1960
- Hon. William Tierney, Judge, Circuit Court, Assistant Prosecutor, 1960 - 1961
- Moore, Epifanio & Tooher, Partner
- Connecticut State Legislature, Senate House Judiciary Committee, Chief Counsel